who is a registered dental hygienist?
Registered Dental hygienists are licensed oral health professionals who complete either a 2 or 4 year Dental Hygiene Program at an accredited college or university. They must take both a written national board examination, and a clinical examination before they are licensed to practice. They specialize in preventing and treating oral diseases to protect the teeth, gums, and overall oral health of their patients. In addition to treating patients directly, dental hygienists may also work as educators, researchers, and administrators.
What our hygienists can do for you...
- Perform oral health care assessments that including the review of your health history, dental charting, oral cancer screening, and evaluation of gum disease / health
- Expose and interpret dental radiographs (x-rays)
- Remove plaque and calculus (“tartar”) from above and below the gumline using specialized instruments
- Administer local anesthetics and / or nitrous oxide
- Apply cavity-preventive agents such as fluorides and sealants to teeth
- Provide education on proper oral hygiene techniques, plaque control, and help develop individualized home-care routines for each patient
- Provide education on how nutrition, smoking, and other factors may play a role in oral and overall health.
Prevention is key...
Did you know you can prevent dental disease through regular home-care and dental checkups?
Daily brushing, flossing and the use of fluoridated mouth rinse before bed can help prevent dental diseases such as gum disease and cavities. Our registered Dental Hygienists are experts at evaluating and treating your periodontal health. Through evaluation, regular check ups, and cleanings, they will help you prevent oral conditions that can cause pain, missed work or school, and embarrassment.
Meet the girls behind the mask...
Rachael has been a Registered Dental Hygienist since 2011. She loves working with nervous patients and showing them that effective hygiene visits do not have to be painful or scary. She enjoys seeing her patients perception of dentistry change as they continue to come see her for regular visits.
Outside the office, Rachael loves doing anything outdoors! She has a passion for health and nutrition, and loves to stay active. You can find her hiking, hunting, snowboarding in the winter, or at the lake in the summer. She loves the sunshine!
Emily has been a Registered Dental Hygienist since 1999. She loves seeing the difference in her patients' oral condition after teaching them how to perform good brushing and flossing. She enjoys when her patients take a true interest in their health, and become believers in good daily habits!
Outside the office, Emily loves doing anything with her family, whether it be skiing in the winter, or getting out of town for road-trips in the summer. She loves spending time with her boys!!!